Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Love Like God's


Have you ever had a conversation with someone that you just knew, when it was over, came from God? You knew that because your conversation was about something that God had been dealing with you about. People have conversations everyday, but when your single, there seems to be that one main topic that comes up: finding someone. I have had that conversation plenty of times before, but this one time I know it was God’s acting because he had been dealing with me three days prior to having this certain conversation. If you’re a Christian single, this will probably all sound too familiar.
"Yes, I pray that God will give me strength everyday...My only dream, Christie...and I’m serious about this...my only dream is to pursue the right woman for me...being patient and just seeking the right path to being blessed with her for life...my dreams and goals have nothing to do with work or whatever...just that."
"I am telling you, I am in the same boat." "I mean, yes, I want to go farther in college and get a better job, a job I love, but all that is not as important to me as being with the one that God wants me to be with."
Sound familiar? When you’re single, don’t you dream about finding that someone you’re meant to be with? Christian single, don’t just dream about finding that someone you’re meant to be with; dream about finding a love like God’s. Dream about finding that person to love that mirrors God’s love for us. God’s love is unconditional- he loves us even when we don’t deserve it. God’s love is boundless- there is no limit to his love. God’s love is undying- he never gets tired of loving us. God’s love is personal-he loves us as if we were the only person on Earth.
I know as Christian singles, we all want that kind of love. That’s what sets us apart from the singles of the world. Yes, they say they want their soul mate, but how many times do they settle for the instant gratification they receive from another person and so they call that person their soul mate. They don’t care if God is in the center of that relationship or not. It’s almost as if the person makes them feel good, that must mean that person is their soul mate. Don’t get me wrong, I know we have all been guilty of enjoying that instant gratification. We find someone that makes us feel good and we enjoy spending time with them, so we begin to think, "Could they be the one?"
What happens when you just can’t meet anyone that meets the standards you look for in a mate? What happens when you finally do meet someone that meets those standards, but then something goes wrong? How do you wait for the love to come? How do you handle the loneliness, the hurt, the depression? Why is it so hard to be patient when you know God has your best interest in mind? People say, "Don’t try so hard; it will happen when you least expect it," but how do you just stop when it’s something you desire so much? How do you deal with it when, no matter where you or what you do, it’s staring you in the face? It’s on TV, the radio, the Internet, in restaurants, the movies, ballgames, even at church. How do you deal with it when you love someone, but they aren’t ready for a relationship or don’t love you the way you love them? How do you deal with it when someone is in love with you, but you can’t return the feelings, or won’t let yourself return the feelings for fear of being hurt yet again?
You get frustrated and confused, right? You think, "What’s the use in even trying?" You feel like giving up hope, right?
"Its been hard to hope lately."
"I know that feeling, too."
"And everything else is telling me not to hope anymore." "But, I think my feelings are real. God’s told me to feel this way (that there is someone meant for me) about having hope."
"Don’t give up hope." "You know where to put your hope."
"Yeah, not in a girl alone...but in Him."
Put your hope in Him and he won’t let you down. Dream, but dream of love that mirrors God’s for us.
Lord, you know the loneliness I face each day.
And how I long for love to come my way.
Not an ordinary love that will just fade away,
Lord, give me a love like yours, I pray.
The answer is not always easy, but with God EVERYTHING is possible. When you get lonely, say a prayer. When you get depressed, say a prayer. When you get confused, say a prayer. When you feel like there is no reason to hope, say a prayer. The answer you might just get could go something like this:
But somehow, it was as if I was being told about something, something wonderful, something beautiful waiting just for me. All I had to do was wait long enough. (Excerpt from The Pigman by Paul Zindel.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris:
I find your words both disconcerting and comforting for me. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and candor.

Christie said...

Only the last couple of lines is an excerpt from THE PIGMAN. I wrote the rest of this after having a conversation with a friend.

Chad said...

Wow , My little sis can really write. That is very thought provoking. Way to go , SIS.